Floor tiles form the foundation of contemporary interior design, playing a pivotal role in enhancing various elements within a building’s interior. From illuminating spaces with light to adding vibrant hues, tiles have the power to transform the aesthetics of any interior. By carefully choosing the appropriate tiles for your project, you can seamlessly blend beauty and functionality into a harmonious whole.
If you are new to interior design, selecting the right tiles for your project might be tricky, and that this why we have prepared this guide with the essential tips and factors to consider when selecting your tiles as discussed below.
Factors to consider when selecting floor tiles
Before you can choose your floor tiles, you need to determine their purpose and location. The area of use for a tile is key because it determines which kind of tile to use. This is true because different areas of your house or office may have particular requirements in terms of floor tiles.
As an example, high-traffic zones like entryways, or kitchens may need more durable and slip-resistant tiles, while for living rooms or bedrooms, you may prioritize comfort and aesthetics.
The make of a tile also determines its suitability. Some of the common materials for tiles include ceramic, porcelain, natural stone, vinyl and luxury vinyl tiles. Each of these materials has its own behaviour and benefits; however, when selecting your tiles, you need to consider their durability, water resistance, and maintenance needs as well as aesthetics.
3. Shape & Size
Tiles are available in different sizes and shapes, and they can range from small mosaic tiles to large format tiles. The size and shape of the tile you select can greatly impact the visual appearance of your interior.
For example, large tiles can create an illusion of a spacious area while smaller tiles add an intricate detail. Therefore, you need to consider the scale of your space and the effect you wish to achieve.
4. Style & Design
The style of your tiles is what will make your interior stand out. You need to consider styles and designs that complement your existing decor. Once you select your tile theme, whether you prefer a classic, contemporary, rustic or modern look, you should select tiles that match the desired aesthetic.
5. Color & Pattern
The colour and pattern of your tiles is a special characteristic that influences the mood and ambience of your interior. For example, light-coloured tiles can bring a sense of openness and brightness, while darker tiles create warmth and depth. You also always consider the colour scheme of your interior and then select tiles whose colour and pattern meet the overall design.
For more about interior colours, you can read our article on the top colours of interiors.
The convenience of any floor tile comes from its level of maintenance. Some tiles need regular cleaning, while others are more resistant to stains and require less cleaning. Therefore, when selecting your tiles, you should consider the lifestyle of your users and the amount of time & effort that they are willing to invest in maintaining the tiles.
It is important to ensure that the cost of your tile selection fits within your budget to ensure project success. Some of the factors that influence the cost of tiles include; the material, size, brand and quality.
When selecting your tiles, keep in mind the need for durability, especially in areas prone to heavy wear and tear. You need to assess your tile choice for resistance to scratching, staining and moisture to ensure it can withstand the conditions within the user environment.
9. Slip Resistance
When selecting your floor tiles, you need to take care to ensure that you do not create hazards. Safety is therefore an essential consideration when selecting tiles. To ensure that your tiles are safe for the users, consider their slip resistance especially in areas prone to moisture or where slip hazards are present. In order to do this, you can look at the slip resistance properties of your tiles and these can be provided by the manufacturer.
Finally, when choosing your floor tiles you need to consider their installation. Some tiles can require experienced professionals to install them due to their complexity. When it comes to selecting your floor tiles, you should factor in the time, effort and expertise required for installation.
Examples of floor spaces and tile selections
- Ceramic tiles: Durable and water-resistant, available in various designs and colours.
- Porcelain tiles: Stain-resistant and highly durable, ideal for high-traffic areas.
- Living Room:
- Hardwood flooring: Adds warmth and elegance to the space.
- Luxury vinyl tiles: Resilient, easy to maintain, and available in a wide range of patterns that mimic natural materials.
- Porcelain tiles: Moisture-resistant, easy to clean, and durable.
- Quarry tiles: Slip-resistant and tough, suitable for heavy-duty use.
- Ceramic tiles: Water-resistant and easy to clean, with various styles and finishes available.
- Mosaic tiles: Small tiles that can be arranged in patterns, ideal for adding visual interest.
- Carpet tiles: Soft and comfortable underfoot, with a wide variety of colours and patterns to choose from.
- Laminate flooring: Affordable and easy to install, providing the look of hardwood without the high cost.
- Office/Commercial Space:
- Commercial carpet tiles: Durable, stain-resistant, and easy to replace individual tiles if damaged.
- Luxury vinyl planks: Durable, low-maintenance, and available in a range of styles to mimic different flooring materials.
- Porcelain pavers: Frost-resistant and slip-resistant, suitable for exterior use.
- Natural stone tiles: Offers a unique and natural look, with options like slate, travertine, or granite.
- Interlocking rubber tiles: Cushioned and slip-resistant, protecting the floor and providing comfort.
By carefully considering all the factors above, you will be able to select floor tiles that fully meet your client’s needs, but also enhance the aesthetic appeal of your space, and create a beautiful and durable foundation for your interior.
For more updates, like our Facebook Page.
Please don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ
- GREEN STORMWATER SOLUTIONS: HOW TO EFFECTIVELY MANAGE STORMWATERIn the face of climate change threats, constructing green infrastructure is crucial in today’s world.. In a world with global warming and pollution, it is important to seek out infrastructural solutions to that are clean and energy efficient to ensure sustainability. As many cities all over the world have adopted… Read more: GREEN STORMWATER SOLUTIONS: HOW TO EFFECTIVELY MANAGE STORMWATER
- VERTICAL VS HORIZONTAL EXPANSIONCivil engineering involves the art of shaping our world. The choices that engineers make in designing and constructing buildings and infrastructure have a profound impact on communities. In this article, we are going to look to fundamental approaches in the design and construction of buildings. These approaches are vertical expansion… Read more: VERTICAL VS HORIZONTAL EXPANSION
- FIVE MUST-HAVE GADGETS FOR ENGINEERSAs an engineer what sets you apart is what you keep in your toolbox. While knowledge and experience are key to succeeding in engineering, the tools you keep on you can determine your efficiency and effectiveness. Engineers are prone to travelling and working remotely, and hence It is important to… Read more: FIVE MUST-HAVE GADGETS FOR ENGINEERS